Rainbows from God

Twice, when I doubted, God showed me twin rainbows in the sky to remind me that He keeps His promises...I want to remember how much I have been blessed with...

Name:
Location: Singapore

Daughter of God Wife of Andrew Mother of Faith, Joy & Peace

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Nursing Room

I've been earnestly looking out for signs to nursing rooms in shopping centres lately (Andrew influenced by me :p); in fact, I think I have more attention on that than doing justice to merchandise showcased in the shop windows. Obsessed? Maybe.

The constant worry that plagues me now is not being able to effectively continue breastfeeding Faith after my maternity leave, so I've been trying to do as much 'homework' while I can -- reading books and materials online, finding parental support online and in groups, researching and getting nursing aids that I need for lasting use (since I'm planning to breastfeed each child for at least two years). I can forgo the convenience of feeding my babies canned food, if it means compromising their health with products of lab experiment -- too much for me to trade.

Anyway, talking about nursing rooms in public places -- shopping centres, at least. As we scouted around for nursing rooms, we found to our dismay that most nursing rooms are built -- only for display. We're trying to encourage ourselves by constantly reminding ourselves that civic conciousness always take some time and, as one of Andrew's friends said, doing the right thing is never easy.

Take for example IMM; I never knew there was ONE nursing room in the building until I 'stumbled' into it one day. As the staff at the information counter later put it to me -- it's conveniently located on level 1, next to Bali Thai and Crunchy Carrot.

Why was I never aware of it's existence even though I've worked in the building for almost 2 years? 1) There is no sign indicating it's a 'Parents Room', 'Nursing Room' or 'Breastfeeding Room'; 2) There are always mops standing behind the opened frosted glass door, rags laid out to dry on the sink top; if you're lucky, you'll get to meet the cleaner resting his or her feet inside. Does it look like a nursing room to me? No, and it still doesn't now that I've been informed it is -- it still seem more functional as a janitor's room to me!!!

When the friendly information counter staff confirmed to me that THAT is a nursing room, I told her what I saw in the nursing room and request that she feedback to the management about this. She sounded shocked and agreed that the room shouldn't be doubled that way. She also promised she would feedback to the cleaning supervisor to see that the mis-practice stopped. Sadly, the room is in the same state I saw it last, when I dropped by the washroom next to it. I showed Danny the room when he came to meet me for lunch this afternoon.

What is the point of re-constructing new restrooms in shopping centres to include parents' rooms when proper use of the rooms are not safeguarded? :( And we consider ourselves 优雅社会...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home