Rainbows from God

Twice, when I doubted, God showed me twin rainbows in the sky to remind me that He keeps His promises...I want to remember how much I have been blessed with...

Name:
Location: Singapore

Daughter of God Wife of Andrew Mother of Faith, Joy & Peace

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Stir-fried Beef with Asparagus

Another simple dish to share. Asparagus doesn't seem to be popular or at least not a favourite among Singaporeans -- possibly due to the strong smell it has that we're not used to. It's rather new to my family too; but now it appears more often on our dining table after my 'experiment' worked out sometime ago. ;)

However, while I was Googling health benefits of asparagus, I found out that KH shouldn't have too much of that due to its high purine content which can lead to accumulation of uric acid -- not so suitable for people with gout or kidney stones. :( On the other hand, lots of benefits for Faith, Joy and I, with nutrients like beta-carotene, folic acid, , phosphorus, potassium, vitamin C, E and K. :) Its high folate content makes it an excellent food for those preparing for pregnancy or who are pregnant. It also promotes healthy gut due to its content of a special carbohydrate called inulin, which promotes the friendly bacteria within the large intestine.

You'll need:

250g Beef, sliced
5 stalks Thick, green asparagus, sliced diagonally across stalks
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 slices Ginger, smashed with skin*

Marinade for Sliced Beef

1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Oyster Sauce

Seasoning

1 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 cup Hot Water (Increase or decrease according to your preference -- I like sauces to go with my rice, so I tend to add more.)

* I usually keep skin of the ginger as it reduces the heaty properties of ginger. A little ginger is used before stir-frying just to add fragrance to the dish and reduce strong smells in certain food – in this case, beef and asparagus. :)


Now start the fire. ;)

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or pan.

2. Stir-fry ginger until fragrant.

3. Add marinated beef and stir-fry until just cooked. Dish out from wok and set aside.

4. Add another tbsp of oil if required. Stir-fry garlic until fragrant.

5. Add asparagus, stir-fry and toss for 5-7 min.

6. Add seasoning, stir-fry and mix well. Bring sauce to boil. (If you like to cook the asparagus much softer -- maybe for young children, just cover the wok, lower the flame to medium or small, and let it simmer for 5-10 min, depending on how soft you want it to be.)

7. Add stir-fried beef back into the wok, stir-fry and mix well. Serve. (Do not leave the beef in the wok or stir-fry for too long -- it becomes too tough to chew!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello. I saw a review you posted on amazon.com about kwik sew's sewing for toddlers. I would like to start sewing for my 14 month old but all I've ever done before are very, very basic curtains (and not well). Do you think this book would help me sew her clothes?

PS this recipe sounds delicious and I LOVE asparagus.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rainbows from God said...

Sorry for the delayed reply, Susan. I've just returned from the hospital after the birth of my second daughter. :)

I think you'll learn lots from the Kwik Sew series even if you are very new to sewing.

The lesson that I've learnt for myself though, is that I'll have to be more forgiving to myself and not expect the process to be absolutely hitchless and the product to be perfect. :) I can be a perfectionist and dawdle over one tiny small detail for a long time if not done well, you see.

Now I always start off a project reminding myself that 'every piece is a learning process' and end the project with 'Wow, not bad. The next one will be even better!', I really do get better and better with more practices to make perfect! :D At least that would not give me a chance to say, 'Oh, forget it -- I'm just not cut out for this.' :)

And I must say, Kwik Sew does have the best cut and fit. The patterns are very basic; but I've had no problem modifying designs from patterns I traced out from the original.

Hope you have as much fun.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home